Google
 

Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Break from my break

I told myself that I was going to take a blog break until I finished a little project I'm working on. That being said, I thought I would take a break from my break, as I read something interesting in the New York Times. That, and, it seems that if I don't blog, none of my fellow bloggers feel a need to do so themselves. Maybe this will get the gears back in motion, though, maybe this quote will just lead to some reevaluation of life, and result in no more blog entries.

I was reading this article, by Guy Trebay, in the New York Times on the success of Tila Tequila. First of all, it was probably the meanest tone I've ever seen used in the New York Times. Secondly, this paragraph jumped out at me:

When Jake Halpern set out to write “Fame Junkies,” his book about what is now a universal obsession with celebrity, he was surprised to uncover studies demonstrating that 31 percent of American teenagers had the honest expectation that they would one day be famous and that 80 percent thought of themselves as truly important. (The figure from the same study conducted in the 1950s was 12 percent.)


What happened that we have jumped from 12% to 80%? I think the obvious anserws are two things, one, Reality Television, and two, the Internet.

I have nothing more to say on the topic. I just thought it was interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go fuck yourself.