Google
 

Sunday, September 16, 2007

"taH pagh taHbe"

Upon yet another lonely night, I decided to wikipedia the language of klingon. I was sure this would lead to some fun facts. Alas, yet again, I was right. The article ranks somewhat poorly on my scale of wikipedia articles. Some of the fun facts include that OS X makes reference in the language options, though, it doesn't actually work; Multnomah County in Oregon named Klingon as a language that could require interpreters; and a bunch of other, look where the language showed up now. What I find most interesting though was this fact.

I guess in some old episode, one character joked that in order to truly appreciate Shakespere, it should be read in the original language, Klingon. Later on, in the Next Generation or something, it proved to not be a joke when it was mentioned that Shakespere was visited by Klingon time travelers who came to him and translated their famous operas to English. If this wasn't enough, somebody actually decided to translate a few books.

Though, I don't think this has any backing as being originally Klingon in Star Trek lore, the first known myth has been translated.


Yes, that is The Myth of Gilgamesh.

Then you have Shakespere.





Classic.

This reminds me, I always thought it would be interesting to raise a child only speaking Klingon just to hear how fucked up his accent would be when he finally learns English. I figure his English would be frightning to say the least. I suppose every Klingon accent from the show should be the outcome, however, I kind of doubt it. It would probably be something much closer to a primal scream.

No comments: